By: Dave DiPasqua
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – The Chicago Cubs snapped a 108-year curse last year with an incredible postseason run to capture the 2016 World Series.
As we fast-forward to now, look for the Cubs to repeat as the 2017 campaign is officially underway. Who knows what will happen over the course of the next few months!
World Series Prediction: Chicago Cubs over Boston Red Sox in 6 games
NL East: New York Mets
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL West: San Francisco Giants
Wild Cards: Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Dodgers
AL East: Toronto Blue Jays
AL Central: Cleveland Indians
AL West: Houston Astros
Wild Cards: Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers
Phillies Prediction: 77-85
- Despite being on a three-game skid, the Phillies have shown promise with a young core.
- They do lack power in the middle of the lineup, which is why this is such a big year for Maikel Franco. He has not shown anything yet, hence the losing streak with him batting clean-up.
- Need the arms in the rotation to produce with Vince Velasquez being the ace.
- Personally, I think Velasquez is better suited for the closer position with his strikeout potential.
- Expect them to deal Jeremy Hellickson and Clay Bucholz at the deadline to bring up guys from the minors (Jake Thompson & Ben Lively to name two).
- Expect them to throw big money this off-season as rumors fly around the notion of landing … Bryce Harper if the price is right.
- A player to watch: Aaron Altherr
- After missing time last year due to injury, Altherr needs to have a big year
- He has the size (6’5”) and now has to put it all together
- A pitcher to watch: Jerad Eickhoff
- Has the ability to be the best of the bunch: 11-14 record with 3.65 ERA in 2016
- Has good command of his pitches, but needs run support
- Reminds me of a young John Lackey